You can not block messages from specific addresse or domain in Gmail, but you can put filter on specific email addresses from whom you don’t want to receive any mails.
Filters allow you to block emails and send those unwanted messages directly to the Trash. Just have a glance at this article to know about how to block an email address of a person on gmail.
Steps to Block Emails Through Filters
Step 1: Login to your Gmail account (gmail.com) and enter the login credentials viz User Id and Password.
Step 2: Select the message which you want to block, click the “More” button as shown in the image below and select “Filter messages like these”.
Step 3: The filter window will appear at the top of the screen with the sender’s address in the “From field”. If you want to add all those emails which have same subject line, then you can enter it into the “Subject” field.
If you want all emails from your favorite online website to be filtered into one label then put the website name in the “Has the words” field. If you want to add all of your emails that have attachments, you can check the “Has attachment” box.
Click the “Create filter with this search” at the bottom right of the search window.
Step 4: A new window will appear containing a number of possible actions to be applied to your search criteria.
select the check box “Delete it” option then all the messages which you have received from this email address will automatically be sent to Trash. Click on “Create filter”.
Step 5: You will get a message on the top of the screen as “Your filter was created” as shown in the image.
Apart from blocking a specific email address, you can also apply filter to other options like:
- Skip the inbox: If you want to see only the messages which you have filtered, check the “Skip the Inbox” box.
- Mark as read: By default, Gmail will bold all the messages which you haven’t read yet. If you don’t want those messages to get highlighted, you can check the “Mark as read” box.
- Star it: If you want to any message to get starred, you can do the same by checking the “Star it” box.
- Apply the label: You can also create a label for those emails which you have already filtered. Check the “Apply the label” box, and then click the drop-own menu next to it. Select “New label” and then create the label you want to apply for.
- Forward it: In order to forward the messages, you need to have the forwarding address. Click on “Add a forwarding address” button and enter the address where you want to forward it.
Gmail will send you the confirmation code seeking your permission for the address you entered. Now you can check the “Forward it” box.
- Never send to Spam: If you don’t want your filtered message to be sent to spam, then check the “Never send to Spam” box.
- Always mark it as important: If you want to mark all your filtered message as important, then check the “Always mark it as important” box
- Never mark it as important: If you don’t want to mark all the filtered messages as important, then check the “Never mark it as important” box.
- Categorize as: You can also categorize your filtered emails as Personal, Social, Promotions, Updates, Forums by choosing these options from drop down list next to it.