Do you want to share a folder within a same network to make things easier? Of course, you can do this, and even you can share images as well as the music. It can be done in two ways:
- By creating a Homegroup: A Homegroup allows you to share things frequently with others connected to your homegroup.To know how to create a Homegroup, go to how to a create homegroup in windows 7 and then apply the first method as shown below.
- By using the Advanced Sharing option: This method is beneficial at times, you need to share a folder with everyone in your network. Follow the second method as explained below.
Through this article you will learn to share a folder in Windows 7 by performing any of the two methods, each comprising of few steps, as explained below.
Steps to Share a Folder in Windows 7
Method 1 of 1:
After Creating a Homegroup:
Step 1: Locate the folder which you want to share and select it, then expand the option “Share with” by clicking on an arrow besides it.
Choose any one option “I have chosen “Homegroup (Read/Write)” that allows people to read as well as edit the content.
Step 2: Select “Specific People” option to open the “File Sharing Wizard”.
Step 3: Choose the people with whom you want to share the Folder from the drop down list as shown in the figure.
I have selected “HomeGroup” as I want to share with everyone who are connected to my HomeGroup.
Step 4: Then click on “Share” button.
Step 5: At the bottom of the Screen, you can see the notification as shown below.
Step 6: If you want to share it with guest or anyone other than mentioned above, then choose the person from the drop down list and click on “Add” button.
Step 7: Here you can set “Permission level according to you”.
Step 8: Click on “Share” button to share that folder.
Step 9: You can check that folder is shared, by looking at the notification “Shared with” that appears at the bottom of the screen.
Method 2 of 2:
Using the Advanced Sharing Option:
Step 1: Find the folder which you want to share, then right click on it and go to the “Properties” option.
Step 2: Click on “Sharing” tab at the top, as shown in the figure.
Step 3: Go to “Advanced Sharing” option.
Step 4: Advance sharing window appears, put a check on “Share this folder” and click on “Permissions” to allow people that to read and change, if required.
Step 5: By default, “Everyone” Appears, if you are satisfied with this option, then go to permission and select the option as shown in the image below, for the document to be shared.
- Full Control: This option allow people to read as well as edit and even delete the content you’ve shared.
- Change: This means you had given privilege to others to modify the content.
- Read: It will restrict others to edit the content which you have shared.
Step 6: If you want to add groups then click on “Add” button as shown below.
Step 7: Enter the object name, if you know,otherwise click on “Advanced”.
I have entered “Administrator”.
Step 8: To find the Groups, click on “Find Now”.
Step 9: From the Search results, select the group you want and click on “OK” button to share.